free web tracker

Monday, June 05, 2006

Sky-filter and the photography of today

I'm sorry. I'm back. I... was there?

Yeah, in that place where you find yourself again. Three days, gents, I just needed three days to recover. Kleinmond, and today, Jonkershoek.

But, ponder this: If these pictures paint a thousand words, why do we need words?

In my Karen Little interview (yes, my Q's will be up soon) I picked a world without words over a world without pictures.

Today, I was lying under a tree with Jolani. At first thinking, "this is the picture. it is beautiful and it needs to be on my hard drive."

No! I needed to be under that fucking tree with a special person, NOT thinking about which f-stop to use. photography, guys, not only captures the moment, it is the moment. Which is is great, often.

But consider words. Words do not consume the moment, they brew inside you until you get to a typewriter. The world is intact.

It is nearing winter in Stellenbosch. That is why: Old Brown Sherry. That is why: trees with not quite naked branches. This one was big, domish from the inside. It filtered the sky with tiny leaves, wispy branches, and little balled clusters of seeds (deep brown speckles against the sky).

A canvas of Jackson Pollock stars-and-thorns. It looked as if the outer crust of the world had just begun to soar into space and we were left behind, looking through. It was a swarm, a map of nerves.

Maybe that didn't take you there. But I was there, and now all I have is the words, and the memory. A photographer has only the pictures.

Agree or no? Next post: photos! (and interview q's before wednesday!)



I love words. LOVE them.
Blogger ~d  


words.. books.. the only limit my imagination..

ive been everywhere and nowhere..

my sanctuary..

a book full of words vs a book full of pictures..

i dunno: it depends on the ingenuity of the author..
Blogger AristoNeeks  


it does depend on the author's craft. but it also looks at the writer's own needs, and fulfills them, whether he was eloquent or not.

a selfish representation.
Blogger N  


Van my beste oomblikke is die neergeskryfdes, en nie afgeneem nie. Daar is een of twee foto's wat bekenisloos is sonder die woorde wat daarmee saamgaan.

En blerrie goeie boom beskrywing! Rrrr.
Blogger gm  


Post a Comment

© 2006 We like texture | Template by Gecko & Fly;
Extracts to be credited, please.