free web tracker

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Fucking around in the dark: where are the words now?

Together with some other journos, I spent the weekend in a little town by the sea: Kleinmond. We talked about marriage and betrayal. There didn't need to be a whole lot said, however. We took the trip at the lowest ebb of our will to keep going, just after our mother-deadline. Well, I had it down that way. It wasn't just some picnic. We had come to the sea to bleed.

When it was dark, after we had supped and learned to love each other, we took our cameras and stumbled to the sea. We were going to find something, each one of us.

Gerhard had his tripod. Jan had his long ultra-zoom lens. I had my flash. And we scavenged.

It could have been better. It could also have never happened.

Power of words? Powerless, sometimes. I will add some, though.

Jan:



Gerhard:



This is me. I want to once and for all acknowledge, that, yes, I do take a lot of self-portraits, yes, I am self-obsessed. But remember my clan? The Introspectives. Another thing: I can actually be quite shy. Especially behind the camera. So I introduce myself to you here, as my most willing and attentive subject:



This is the colour of night:



Kleinmond, the garden of good & evil:



Do you luge?



On the merry-go-round:



Gerhard defends himself against the electric alien jellyfish:



Inside John Malkovich's mind:



Trees have hearts of stone:



Too late. Found at altar:



WE ARE WATCHING - MR GUNTHER AND HIS FAMILIAR, CYRUS:





The one with the clothes and the dissapearing! SO funny!

Hohohoho.

(I'm very easily ammused.)

I always imagined that you were 'dorky-cute' when I now see you are in fact 'cute-cute.' Cool picture!

That drive along the coat there is lovely, is it not? (Or am I thinking of the right place?) Yes, I am. The drive is lovely!

I LOVE SOUTH AFRICA.

That's all, I'm done now.
Blogger kitty  


wie se gestreepte broek is dit? circa 1983, dink ek.
Blogger arcadia  


Flippen cool! Ek hou veral van die tonnel en die elektriese jellievisse. En jy het Gunther se essensie net reg gevang.
Blogger gm  


arcadia, uhm... the pants are mine.

after we discovered the human sacrifice scene, my pants, uh, wet themselves and i had to go get my jammies.

yep, they wet themselves.

And I agree with Kirstin 100%. That really is a lovely stretch of 'coat' down there at Kleinmond.
Blogger N  


I love those pants, Niel. You just wait, Arcadia - retro will be on its way out soon, and the 80s will be in. Crazypants!
Blogger mike  


But 80's will still be retro.

Yes, hang onto those pyjamas.. they're going to be big news next season!
Blogger kitty  


Yes, you're right in a way. But I think retro refers exclusively to the seventies.

I don't know. As long as 80s hair doesn't come back. I vomit when I look at photos of my mother when I was a baby - all those curls!
Blogger mike  


Post a Comment

© 2006 We like texture | Template by Gecko & Fly;
Extracts to be credited, please.