free web tracker

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The Whining (imagination be damned)

Please watch The Shining. Then you will understand my irrational fear of hallways.

I was at the Journalism department on Sunday night. EJ was there with me, and a classmate (let us call her Annie) was upstairs.

EJ left, mumbling some excuse.

I was left alone in the Department, with Annie upstairs. She had been there all day, just typing and typing.

Noise upstairs. Ghoulish moans, along to the typing. She was singing to some music (playing on headphones, I think) but not bothering to form the words properly and singing eerily out of tune. A manic disregard for what her vocal chords were doing.

And typing all the way. What was she typing? Could it have been:

All work and no play makes Annie a dull girl
All work and no play makes Annie a dull girl
All work and no play makes Annie a dull girl
All work and no play makes Annie a dull girl

???

It could, and I was disturbed. I also couldn't hold in my liquids anymore, and I had to go to the bathroom.

The lights were off in the hallway. I was very conscious of the fact that, if I rolled a tennis ball so that it dissapeared around the corner, it would probably come bounding back. I had to keep my hand on the wall to convince myself everything was real. That I was, in fact, frightened.

I turned the corner. Nothing.

I went into the bathroom and closed the door behind me. The tiny window reminded me of similar one I had seen in a movie. It would be possible to crawl through it, but there might not be enough time...

I made faces in the mirror to relax myself. One of them wasn't mine at all. It was the face of a little boy sitting on a bed, holding his hands to his face, choking on horror as his father, in another room, was face-to-face with a hideous spirit.

I became very conscious of the fact that the wall to my right was made of very thin wood, and that a single well-aimed blow of the axe would go right through. Someone could chop through. Someone could be in that room with me, in a matter of seconds.

I finished as quickly as I could and returned to my seat in the computer room. As the chairs and computers on the other side started creaking, and Annie inexplicably resumed wailing in some prehistoric language, it became too much.

I rushed to the nearby stairs and shouted: "ANNIE, ARE YOU THERE?"

Seconds...

"JA, Niel, what's up?"

"Oh, uhm."

"Nothing. Just checking."

That day I posted that "I want to watch a horror movie." I didn't want to be in one.



Hahaha. :)

Rhodes is all about creepy hallways. I'm glad I have a computer in my room and don't need to sit in the Management Department 24/7. My soul probably wanders those corridors. I've sold my soul, you know. To the Management Department.
Blogger mike  


Could you be talking about....
Anonymous Anonymous  


oranges and lemons, and the bells of St Clemens???

Why, yes!
Blogger N  


You're a wuss. But at least you're an honest wuss.

I will never understand this fear of yours - you were almost physically shaking when I was typing that post on the NG Church graveyard! I now know your weak spot! MWahahahah!

Heeeeeere's Edward-Johnny!

Aaaaagh - Horrible pun!
Blogger seminormal  


yup. this one is prone to the occasional mind-spook.

my imagination can sometimes be more of a simulator than an imagination.
Blogger N  


Hey Willy Neilly.I didnt know you a Simon Cowel wannabe. You won't have to worry anymore as I am working on my "chords".About "the other night"
In fact what I was typing the other night were:
Why was I born with such contemporaries?
Anonymous Anonymous  


'tis unfair indeed.

*disclaimer for the post: names were changed to protect the innocent
Blogger N  


red-rum
Blogger ~d  


See ~d?

You freaked me out, just by typing "red-rum".

Hyper-sensitive? Yes we are.

The scariest part of all, though, was when the woman reaches the top of the stairs, and the one hotel room is open.

Inside, there is a guy dressed as a dog, perched on all fours on a bed. A man dressed in butler uniform stands behind him, seemingly about to spank him.

That was one of the most horrifying scenes I have ever seen on film.

It's random, yes, but so sinister.
Blogger N  


You pay them no mind, Billy. It was an excellent serum.

( BOO! )
Blogger ~d  


your not the only person scared niel.......my imagination does the same thing to me.......i must admit i got scared just reading your post........i'm sitting in the molteno room and the department is so quiet i fell as if i'm alone up here and i can just picture an axe coming for me......umm i just freaked myself out....
Blogger Lexi  


Yeesh. This is why I dpn't watch horror films. Maybe you should start carrying one of those little tiny BRIGHT pocket lights. :-)

J-departments are just creepy when they're deserted. Quoth the Raven and all that.
Blogger C  


creep - ee...
Blogger Karen Little  


Have you seen Saw ?
Blogger ~d  


no, have you seen my pen?

i mean, have you seen Hostel? apparently it is beyond sick.
Blogger N  


See Saw Marjorie Daw. . .

No, don't see Saw. It sounds freaky!!

My sis actually LIKES horror films and said Hostel was just awful. I think she ended up leaving.
Blogger C  


Post a Comment

© 2006 We like texture | Template by Gecko & Fly;
Extracts to be credited, please.