free web tracker

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

life as a consumer - i'm lovin it (TM)

I went to the BP.

People are powerful, more than they realise. They can kill, they can make love. I could have done any of those things. But I wanted a burger.

At that moment, a burger represented everything I wanted out of the now. Because of economy, because of pocket money, I could go to the BP and get it.

I made the transaction, but when I got outside, the world was colder than before I went in. Wind and chill and the dark. But the burger was warm. I held it in my hand for a while as I travelled. I started to eat it, and soon all that mattered, was that inside my leather peel I was warm. Because of one burger. All there was to think about in the world was inside my mouth. I only had to chew it, consider it.

And then, no more tar to travel. Back where I started.



no more tar to travel.
Hmmm.
Blogger ~d  


There and back again. So eloquent. There is still much tar to travel.

Let us go have a whiskey.
Blogger gm  


A burger from BP...

hmmmmmmm. Dodgeorama.
Blogger mike  


i agree with mike...
Blogger arcadia  


actually guys....

in stellenbosch, the BP is right next to McDonalds. the burger was a jnr cheese, if that makes things clearer.
Blogger N  


That explains why it all fitted in your mouth at once.
Blogger mike  


i would say McD's is a tad more dodge than the BP but then on the other hand...I heard some really gruesome stories about the BP in Stellenbosch and how they handle their food...Oh well, I guess that's the chance you take...ooohhhhooohhh!! the rush of it all!!!!
Blogger M.E.  


MMmmmmm. I'm hungry for a burger now.
Blogger C  


Of all the delish burgers there are to buy in this country, you choose one from BP?

Weirdo...
Blogger Karen Little  


Nevermind... just read the comments train. You're forgiven.
Blogger Karen Little  


well... i bought another jnr. cheese tonight.

hopefully with your blessing, Karen!

'tis a judgemental world for burgers.

and why did 2 people pick up on the "tar to travel" thing? didn't really do the job?
Blogger N  


( if I am one of two then how many people would it take to screw in a lightbulb. No, seriously: I mentioned it b/c I like the imagery (sp).
Blogger ~d  


That was soooome burger, staving off the chill of the world! Sometimes it's the fulfillment of the most basic desires that really satisfies. Love and death are too complex.

I wasn't sure what you meant by the tar thingie -- maybe I'm stoopid, though.
Blogger ing  


Tar and back again. I liked the image...
Blogger gm  


"Tar and back again" ~ A modern account by Bilbo Baggins.

I smell a pop-culture reference!
Blogger N  


Jeez. I really should stay off the computer after 9PM. No telling WHAT is going to come out and sound 'good' to me!
Blogger ~d  


You have 16 comments.

About a burger.

*sigh*

I need a hug.
Blogger seminormal  


i was just thinking the same thing, ej. what are we doing wrong?

*sigh*

I need a burger.
Blogger arcadia  


ej, Arcadia,

Stop commenting, you're only making it worse!

Oh hell, now I've gone and done it myself.
Blogger N  


(Heehee, evil laugh)
Sounds like fun, climbing on the bandwagon:

20 comments on a hamburger! Omi! How have you entrapped us? What is your secret mana, the magic you hold over blog-world? Can you teach us, master, the formula for the much-commented-upon?

(And I still like the Tar-One ... for my 25hour day)
Blogger gm  


I was too busy contemplating "leather peel" to get the tar thing.
Blogger C  


Your post fits in so well with the book I'm reading about Proust...

Proust wrote like 30 pages all about struggling to fall asleep...! because if the small things are too 'small' to be meaningful bits of life, then what is big enough?

He also emphasises appreciating 'mundane' pleasures!
Blogger kitty  


Yes, well.

The media's focus on the extra-ordinary is making sex, violence and extra-terrestrials mundane, leaving the truly mundane in a state of comparative grace.

ergo, Holy Hamburger.
Blogger N  


..journalists-in-training are amusing.. *hee hee*

..hmm.. jr chz burger..
Blogger AristoNeeks  


Post a Comment

© 2006 We like texture | Template by Gecko & Fly;
Extracts to be credited, please.